On campus ecosystem allows communal living residents to maintain optimal health.
As COVID-19 cases are on the rise , Kavod Senior Life continues protocols to ensure residents remains as safe as possible.
Helping them through this difficult time – physically, emotionally and mentally – is a top priority.
Our on-site food and hygiene pantry has provided a crucial lifeline. Established at the start of the pandemic, commodity boxes have been brought directly to resident apartments twice per month since March 2020. With nearly 250 apartments on our list, we’ve completed about 4,000 individual deliveries to date!
Also, Kavod has successfully been awarded at least five public and private grants to aid us in this process. These grantors include:
- Rose Community Foundation
- Help CO Now Fund
- CO Food Pantry Grant
- DPHE Denver Emergency Food Relief (Round 1)
- DPHE Denver Emergency Relief (Round 2).
- CO COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund via Blueprint
Funding from these sources has all be used directly to benefit residents, including:
- Providing 17,625 pounds of food for the pantry, both fresh produce and nonperishable food items
- Subsidizing grocery delivery fees by $10 twice a month for two months
- Reaching all residents who have requested food = 75% of Kavod’s population
- Paying for staff time for coordination and deliveries
- Reducing meal program costs by $50 for two months and $25 for one month
These funds help ensure residents do not need to spend extra money, time or energy leaving campus and risking exposure to get food. According to Mandie Birchem, Kavod’s Director of Health and Wellness, individuals being served have been extremely grateful.
“One resident told us the ‘surprise snack’ we include in our food boxes is something she looks forward to; it brightens her mood and improves her mental health,” said Mandie. “We receive many wonderful notes on our supply request forms thanking us for the items we are able to provide.”
Many community individuals and organizations have donated to the pantry, more than can be listed here.
Ekar Farms deserves a special shout-out for providing hundreds of pounds of fresh produce all summer long – like the bounty shown in the photo below.
Kavod continues to seek funding and donations to ensure residents have access to nutritious food while they stay at home – and stay safe – as much as possible.